Saturday, August 13, 2011

Veteran Actor Shammi Kapoor passes away

A prominent lead actor in Hindi cinema during late 1950s and 1960s, Shammi Kapoor passed away today at 5.15 am. He was suffering from Renal Chronic failure and was admitted at Breach  candy hospital, where he breathed his last. Born on October 21, 1931 in a Punjabi Khatri family, he is an Indian film actor and director.


Shammi Kapoor writes in his own:



This is my real name. Shammi Kapoor is my pet name and I, son of Prithviraj Kapoor, was born on the 21st October 1931, in Bombay. I studied at the New Era School from where I did my Matric. After a short and sweet stay at the Ruia college, I joined my father on the stage in his theatrical company "Prithvi Theatres" as a junior artiste in 1948 on a salary of Rs.50/ per month. I stayed with the theatre till 1952, my last paycheck being Rs.300/.


I signed up as a hero with the Kardar film company, under the direction of Mr. Mahesh Kaul and the film was "Jeevan Jyoti". My first heroine was Chand Usmani.


During the early years, 1952 to 1955, I acted in the following films: "Rail ka Dibba" with Madhubala. "Laila Majnu" with Nutan. "Thokar" with Shyama. "Shama Parvana" with Suraiya. "Hum Sab Chor Hain" with Nalini Jaiwant. Sahil, Tangewali, Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Miss Coca Cola, Mohar, Rangeen Raten, Gul Sanobar, Daku, Coffee House, Naqab, Mirza Sahiban, Chor Bazaar, Sipah Salar and some more nondescript films followed, I remained a male starlet.


















I got married in 1955 to the famous film heroine, Geeta Bali. She was an accomplished actress and had established herself as a Star. In 1956 our son Aditya Raj was born.


My first big success came with Tumsa Nahin Dekha which was released in 1957. Between 1957 and 1959 I acted in Dil Deke Dekho, Mujrim, Ujala, Singapore, College Girl, Boy Friend, Basant, Preet Na Jane Reet.


My first COLOR picture Junglee, was released in 1961 and I became a Star. The same year my daughter Kanchan was born.


Between 1960 & 1964 I acted in Professor, China Town, Char Dil Char Rahen, Raat ke Raahi, Dil Tera Diwana, Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya, China Town, Kashmir Ki Kali, Bluff Master, Janwar, Rajkumar.


In 1965 my wife expired.



From 1966 onwards my releases were Teesri Manzil, Budtameez, Laat Saheb, An Evening In Paris, Tumse Achha Kaun Hai, Jawan Mohabbat, Prince, Brahmachari, Pagla Kahin Ka, Andaaz, Sachai, Pritam, Chote Sarkar, Jaane Anjaane.


I got the 1968 Filmfare Award for the best actor for my film Brahmchari.


In 1969 I married Neila Devi of Bhavanagar.


In 1972 my parents expired.


I ventured into a different field of Film Direction for the first time with a film called Manoranjan, adapted from a french play, Irma La Douce (also made by Billy Wilder into a hilarious movie in '62), which starred Sanjeev Kumar and Zeenat Aman. This was an incredible experience but the film met with mediocre success. This was followed by a film with Rajesh Khanna and Sulakshna Pandit called Bundalbaaz. The end result at the box office was miserable.


After this I began doing character roles and some of these are: Zameer, Prem Rog, Hero, Meera, Harjai, Yeh Vada Raha, Aan aur Shaan, Betaab, Ahista Ahista, Parvarish, Daata, Wanted, Rocky , Romance, Mama Bhanja, Ek Jaan Hain Hum, Shalimar, Armaan, Badal, Karmdata, Sohni Mahiwal, Ek se Bhale Do, Biwi O Biwi, Salaakhen, Professor Pyarelal, Ehsaas, Allah Rakha, Desh Premee, Bade Ghar Ki Bahu, Balidaan, Himmat aur Mehnat, Mast Kalander, Ijjazat, Batwaara, Hakumat, Ajooba. I had the opportunity to do some films in other languages such as Bengali and Tamil as well.


In 1982 I got the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor in Vidhaata.


For a short period of time I produced my own Video Entertainment Magazine called "Shammi Kapoor presents Manoranjan". Six volumes have been already released and then I stopped because there were too many people doing the same thing.


In 1995 I got the Filmfare Lifetime Acheivement Award.


My recent releases have been: Khule Aam, Lakshman Rekha, Hum Shakal, Tehelka, Chamatkar, Heer Ranjha, Gardish, Pyar Ka Rog, Megha, Dosti Ki Saugandh, Aaja Meri Jaan and a couple of South films. My latest release is a film called Prem Granth which is directed by my brother late Raj Kapoor's youngest son, Rajiv Kapoor. I am also doing some serials for the TV, the most enduring being a social melodrama called "Chattaan". It ran for more than a year on the Zee Channel.


My most recent films were "Aur Pyar Ho Gaya" with Bobby Deol and Ashwairya Rai and a cameo I did again with Bobby Deol in "Kareeb" which surprised many because they did not expect me to do what I did in the movie. But then that is exactly why I did it. At the moment I am playing Salman Khan's grandfather in a film called "Jaanam Samjha Karo".

No comments:

Post a Comment